Friday 17 July 2020

is summer here yet?

Although lockdown has eased a lot since my last post the weather has conspired to keep people indoors, which considering the enormous crowds that filled cities and towns across the UK when pubs and bars were allowed to reopen on the 4th July (Independence Day in more ways than one) has been a good thing.
Walking in Whitworth Park has now become a thing for us, we try and get down there at least a couple of times a week. There's always something new to see, on Friday we spotted artists by the lily pond.


Another good thing happened on Sunday when the sun did eventually show his face and my sister , nephews and niece to be came for a (socially distanced) visit.
Because they now all live together in one bubble they were able to come and see us and our new home at last.


We sat out in the garden for lunch until the lure of Formula One racing on the TV brought everyone indoors. Luckily we were still able to socially distance ourselves in the sitting room, they had a sofa and we had a sofa, no problem.
The big news from here is that I was finally able to go to the salon and get my hair cut!
As this was to be my first visit to a hairdresser in the UK for decades and the first post lockdown cut I chose the Toni & Guy salon in Buxton.
I knew I would be in safe hands there, their Covid 19 safety measures were faultless. A pared down appointment system (basically one in one out per stylist) disposable PPE kits for clients, staff were all wearing visors and here were hand sanitizers at reception, stylists workstations, in the loo and by the back wash area.
and I kept the curls!
A couple of final photos to share with you today, homemade lasagne from the Senior Partner's fair hand and a simple salad conjured up by me to go with it.


Ain't life grand!
Linking this post to Mosaic Monday #89 
with the intrepid (jungle fighter) Angie 
@ Letting go of the Bay Leaf

18 comments:

  1. Definitely a big step forward in coming out of isolation. Your hair looks marvelous and well done, SP, on the lasagna. I wish I had someone to cook for me! Your salad also looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving back and then straight into lockdown must have been strange. Our house went on the market the week before lockdown, we are just starting to get viewings. Your garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this post, Maggie, from your lovely haircut to the delicious looking lasagna and the wakl in the park. Best of all, you got to be with your tribe and that's the best news, period!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you could visit with family once again. You look wonderful in the photo - doesn't a haircut always lift the spirits? How handy that the SP cooks! Enjoy the increased freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very chic with the curls. Very nice to see you on this Photo, Maggie!

    ...yes, we have to be carefully now and in Future. We never get the same life like before the Virus.

    Stay healthy and well.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am sure it was great having your family over to visit your place. You looks really cute with your new hairdo. The lasagna looks yummy. I like the view of the park and your garden. Take care! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you can go for walks in the park - nature is so healing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look look fitter with short hairstyles.
    I am happy to read the excitement of family gatherings watching TV together.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know of your family visit. Thanks you for dropping by my blog today.
    Happy Monday

    much😊love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your hair and the sight of artist out at the lake/pond. That's encouraging. As for summer, here in Georgia USA, it's been HOT for a long time. We are full into summer and the heat.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it always amazing when the week rolls around and you end up with so much in common with a blog buddy. We made homemade lasagna this week...and I'm showing my new hair cut today. AND I'm smiling! We are like best buddies though miles and miles apart! I love your hair and all those nice layers! And your garden looks inviting too. Glad you had a family visit this week. (sounds like we are all in jail...hahaha) Enjoy your week! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie - I can easily envision myself in your garden - quintessential British plants and patio area - lovely! So glad you could have a family visit. Thanks so much for linking to Mosaic Monday, and my accolade as an intrepid jungle fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sitting at the pond creating art sounds like a wonderful thing. And easily keeping a good distance too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Maggie - loving a glimpse into life in the UK at the moment. I must say the artists around the lily pond is a glorious image as is being able to have family get togethers.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maggie dear - I was looking for you last evening, realizing I hadn't seen any posts since you moved and announced you would be starting this new blog! I'm certain I requested to be a 'follower' but apparently that never happened! Anyway I've found you now and will be enjoying your posts from your new home in the UK.
    Was sad to learn of the sale not possible in France - that the buyer passed away due to COVID-19 is just terrible. Hopefully another will come along soon, if not already.

    Like you, we are still locked down and haven't left the house other than for essentials. So hot here too - reached 107F Wed. and high 90's daily! Masks make it really tiring in such heat when shopping just for food basically.

    Love your hair Maggie - I'm growing out my 'silver' and getting it trimmed as I go, also it's become wavy so I no longer use a blow dryer so it is healthier! I figured it's now or never on going grey as we're not traveling or seeing people. I was coming to Devon this year but looks like this isn't in the cards now. We really are fearful life will never get back to normal and were hoping these next few years at least would enable us to see a few more exciting places overseas. Now that is questionable.

    Anyway dear, glad you are good and that I can stay in touch again. Hope to hear/see more about your new home.
    Take care, be safe, stay healthy.
    Big hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is wonderful, dinner looks absolutely delicious, I’m glad you were able to enjoy a socially distant visit with family and that they got to see your lovely new home. But honestly I am most excited about your haircut...which looks fabulous ... Because I know from very recent experience how wonderful that first “Covid cut” visit feels. ...definitely something no longer taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love your hair!

    Mine went short when we were able to visit our hair stylist too. But sadly, it is not curly like yours. You are so lucky!!!!

    💛 💛 💛

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...