Friday 28 August 2020

always looking on/searching for the bright side

To quote Monty Python I am "always looking on/searching for the bright side of life" so I could quite easily have rustled up a very pretty mosaic of beautiful flowers to share for Mosaic Monday this week.
Like this.

It's been a funny couple of weeks since I last blogged, although I can't really put my finger on why.
The weather has been pretty unseasonal for a start, with howling gales and rain.
Plans for working in the garden have been put on hold as the tail end of Hurricane Laura kept us indoors and with Hurricane Lorenzo heading our way this Bank Holiday weekend looks set to be a washout too.
Still, ever optimistic we’ve treated ourselves to a beautiful new bench so that we can sit and enjoy the view should the sun peek out at anytime.


Covid-19 related lockdowns and quarantine are very much in the news.
The UK government is making so many U turns it's almost impossible to keep up with what can and can't be done, which countries are safe to travel to (not that we have plans to travel) when/where masks must be worn etc. etc.
Our nephew and his girlfriend finally got the keys to their first home together last week but because the town where they and the rest of our extended family live is in lockdown we can't go and visit them. Seeing photos and mini videos on whatsapp just isn't the same.
A post on a local FB group from a Reiki therapist starting once more to offer treatments had me reaching for the phone to make an appointment.
During the pre treatment chat she went over Covid related health concerns and it came as a bit of a shock to learn that as I turned 70 in June I am classed as "elderly and vulnerable" and according to the UK Reiki Federation cannot receive Reiki at this time.
I haven't wanted to share much about the situation regarding our house in Normandy since starting this new blog however as there has been a flurry of viewings in August, albeit with mixed results, I thought I'd bring you up to date.
One agent reported back, regarding some British clients who had seemed very keen to visit Le Presbytere, with what she called the best/worst excuse for not making an offer.
The client pointed out, in all seriousness, that " there are cows in the field behind the house, everyone knows that where there are cows there will be flies and if there are flies we wouldn't be able to eat out in the garden"!
The agent told me that she couldn't resist suggesting to them that if they thought that was a problem then looking for a home in the middle of the Normandy countryside was perhaps not a good idea.
Earlier this week one couple from the Netherlands did make an offer after a second viewing however in less than 24 hours they had retracted their bid as they have chosen another property that suits them better.
Needless to say their decision has left us feeling a bit deflated as we find ourselves back to square one but still looking on the bright side ..............



Linking to Mosaic Monday #94
with Angie
@ Letting Go of the Bay leaf

23 comments:

  1. Hope things work out for you with your house in France. It must be difficult selling at long distance. The new bench is very smart. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's hiding in the white box UNDER the lovely bench Maggie? It will be nice to sit there - will you have a view of fields?
    Prospective buyers can be totally absurd when it comes to houses. I thought your agent was great with that retort re: why even consider buying in Normandy where all those pretty cows are responsible for so much fabulous cream and cheese!!!

    Hope things pick up again soon.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      The white object is a very old porcelain sink, complete with hot & cold running water. Perfect for washing off muddy boots and wet dogs. Very much in keeping with the whole farm/ barn ethos of our new home!

      Delete
  3. things are changing - wishing you great weeks ahead

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie - your Normandy home is so lovely, I am sure that there will be new owners soon. Who could resist? I did think, for only a moment - what if?

    I have always admired the Keep Calm and Carry On attitude of the Brits!!! Thanks for linking up to Mosaic Monday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Maggie
    I would like having cows for neighbors. They are so cute! Your Normandy house is lovely. The right buyer will come along. Your flower mosaic is so pretty. It is a shame you were told you could not have the treatment, I hope that changes soon. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bench..I can see you making good use of that in the coming weeks as the weather is set to return to Summer I believe!
    The perfect buyer is out there for your gorgeous home in France..keep the faith!
    Great sink to wash the boots off..clever idea.
    Oh yes.and Lovely flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely that you are blogging again.

    My linky is back. Feel free to link up if you visit
    Have a safe and happy Monday

    Much⚘love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your flower photos!!And the scenery around your home is beautiful♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous collection of photos! Have a beautiful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...you certain did find a lot of wonderful things on the brighter side of life. Keep looking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely selection of flowers in your mosaic. Love the paining of your new bench and garden.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I hope things work out in the sale of your home. I wish I could buy it....cows in the field and all! lol And guess what...I turned that same number this year. I don't feel any older though. I think we both look quite young for our age! heehee! We are stuck inside because of showers lately too. They pop up quick and then they are gone but it leaves everything so humid. I am rambling...love your flowers and pretty pic effects! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry about the Presbytere. The photos looks so lovely, I can't imagine why it hasn't been snapped up already, but I'm sure it will be, and the new buyer will be thrilled. Even with the cows. (Did you really have flies when you ate out? I can't imagine they'd travel so far!)

    I know what you mean about Covid. I'm not headed to the wedding of my cousin's daughter this next weekend because of crowds and people. And if you saw my post, our attempts for Rick to get across Mackinac Bridge were halted in part because of Covid precautions. I, too, am considered "elderly." I don't know if we have those restrictions here. Odd, especially with Reiki if, as I recall, it's not hands on. Go figure.

    Love your new bench! It's very cheerful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I do hope your house sells soon. I'm sorry to hear about all that rain. We actually WANT some rain! Take care, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is hard selling a house remotely. The right buyer will come along and they will fall in love with the house. The flower mosaic is beautiful and would brighten anyone's day. I can see you making good use of the wonderful bench, enjoying the view!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Maggie. I understand your house selling woes. Our house viewers have been very strange on occasion. Thus far our viewers have found the house to be too large, too small, too far to walk into town, needs too much doing to it, doesn't need anything doing to it, the road is too narrow, the garden too big.I hope Golilocks will turn up soon and find it to be just right!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely house, a field, cows, peace and tranquility, what more do people expect??
    Good luck with everything.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I do hope the weather improves to give you many wonderful times enjoying your new bench. Mr Wren has always wanted to move to France we should buy your place! I'll tell him :) I would love the cows and will take any flies over mossies any day!!!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you Normandy home will soon find the right buyers, Maggie. My husband and I have been very careful all summer as we are both over 65 years and therefore considered higher risk for a bad outcome if we were ill with covid. We know a few people who have passed away from it and it was a long and sad death. Some of our friends, though, don't seem to care--everyone has different opinions here about taking risks.
    On better thoughts...I love your flower mosaic! Hanging onto to summer as long as we can!

    ReplyDelete
  20. After 70, you can not have Reiki... Interesting...

    🍁✨🍂✨🍁

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your flower mosaic is so pretty. Good for you for looking for the positive. I'm so sorry about the ups and downs with Le Presbytere (accent missing)- the view over the field of cows would be a positive one for me. I do hope the right buyers will come along soon.
    Your bench against the stone wall is so pretty and a great place for enjoying a cup of tea or coffee during the day.
    I hope September holds some sunny days for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came from a different linkup this time ... and am glad to be back to catch up some more. Best wishes on the home sale ...the perfect buyer is out there! ... they are saying 60 and over is vulnerable here... when the stores started advertising early opening hours for “vulnerable” population, my son said he thought ‘how sweet to do that for the oldies” and then he realized he was one . (Obviously his father and I are so vulnerable that we are probably beyond all help). I can’t believe you can’t get your massage if it is safe for other healthy people. That’s just wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...