Sunday 20 September 2020

Cromford Mills, Matlock. A UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Since my last post I've been a bit under the weather, coping with a couple of minor health related issues.
Nothing serious so I won't bother you with the details, however it has meant that we've stayed close to home and not been out and about.
For my Mosaic Monday post this week I'm sharing some photographs and a little backstory about a trip we took last month to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sir Richard Arkwright's Cromford Mills, Matlock where the worlds first successful water powered cotton spinning mill was constructed in 1771.

During their history the factory buildings at Cromford Mills have had many uses.



In1840 when textile production became restricted, due to problems with the water supply, other businesses such as brewers, laundries and a cheese warehouse moved in.


These days there are many interesting shops to browse in and while away an hour or two.

Art Studios, Antiques, Artisan Cheesemakers, Souvenir gift, Yarn and Book shops and also a café,


In recent weeks the Arkwright Society who own and operate Cromford Mills have begun to offer guided tours of the buildings to small groups, I am worried though that as more and more local lockdown measures are put in place across the UK this may have been our first and also our last visit for quite a while.
Joining Angie for Mosaic Monday # 97, see you there.

15 comments:

  1. I"m sorry you haven't been feeling well and hope it is all resolved soon. I'm glad you were able to get out for this excursion. It's really quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better. Like this mill and its history - hope your coming week is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and so interesting. I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting inf on cotton milling. Happy Monday. Hope you feel better soon
    I am at 16 on the linky today

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the book, the adventures of Tom Sawyer. Wonderful remembering. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel much better this week. Love seeing these photos and even a couple of old books that I love. We are staying home except for grocery shopping and getting out in nature. Take care of yourself this week and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, Loved the visit! Thanks for sharing and have a good week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing this little bit of history with us. I love that they have little shops there now and hope that everyone stays well.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a wonderful visit. I loved reading about the mills and seeing the photos. I hope you are feeling better.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting place to visit, with a variety of industry happening there over the years. The first photo of the water falling is beautiful. I hope you are feeling much better this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful and interesting impressions of the mill and its history!
    Take care and get well soon, greeting Elke

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie - as they say, misery loves company! So, while I wish no one ill, it is somehow comforting to know that I am not the only with ailments! I suppose it is one of the things we should expect as we "age". As my mother likes to say "Growing old is not for the faint of heart." I hope your post-script is that you are feeling better, too! And that you have a chance to get out a few more times before things lock down again. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Maggie,
    I hope you are feeling better. We are still staying close to home due to Covid, a walk outside is nice. Your visit to the heritage site looks like a fun time, a great place to explore and shop. Take care, stay well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the virtual tour of Cromford Mills which is part of the Unesco World Heritage Site. I came to know the building.

    I hope your health will recover quickly, I pray for you.
    Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the tour and history and thought it most interesting that the gift shop featured books by Mark Twain, they look like vintage copies! .... I hope your Covid count doesn’t get worse and that you are able to avoid another shutdown. We may be looking at another one here as the number of cases has gone up (the University reopened and I blame that!)

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...