Saturday 27 June 2020

Chatsworth revisited and other news

I missed Mosaic Monday last week because of a prior engagement namely my birthday, one of those with a nought on the end.



We celebrated quietly at home, just me the Senior Partner and M'selle Fleur our beautiful German Shepherd.
There was cake, champagne, flowers and a delicious supper of poached salmon and assorted salads for two, delivered by our local Sticky Fig delicatessen.



My lovely sister and her family gifted me a "Friends of Chatsworth" annual pass for two and the very next day we headed to Chatsworth Estate, which is only a five minute drive from our home, to take a  walk with Fleur through the gardens there.

The Victorian Rock Garden

The gravity fed Emperor Fountain and Canal Pond
The gardens are spread over 105 acres, far too much to see on one visit so we contented ourselves with walking through the Sensory, Cottage and Kitchen Gardens before wandering over to the base of the 300 year old Cascade water feature.
Here we stopped to take in the amazing view of Lancelot "Capability" Brown's magnificent landscaped grounds which surround the House and Garden.

The Victorian Rock Garden

The Display Glasshouse

The SP and Fleur enjoy a quiet moment in the Sensory Garden

A stunning view of the Capability Brown landscape 

The 300 year old Cascade water feature
was not open when we visited
Strolling through the Victorian Rock Garden with it's amazing rock formations and beautiful plants sent my camera into overdrive.

The Victorian Rock Garden
After the Rock Garden came the Maze which like the Glasshouses is currently still closed to the public, we'll save that for next time hopefully.
The Cottage Garden

The Victorian Rock Garden

Chatsworth House is not yet allowing visitors and the shops and restaurants in the Orangery and Stables are still closed but hopefully it won't be long before we'll be enjoying them as well.
In the meantime we'll content ourselves with frequent walks through the grounds, gardens and glasshouses because really how could we ever tire of those views?


with Angie @ Letting Go of the Bay Leaf.

18 comments:

  1. Definitely worth another visit soon! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday... stay healthy and well. Tomorrow has my husband his Birthday.

    Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely place to walk for humans and pooches alike. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! It looks like you had aa grand time! Have another wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy belated birthday - wishing you many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie - this is exactly the type of excursion I thrill to when visiting my in-laws in the UK. No one does gardens like the UK. A landscape by Capability Brown - so remarkable. I have always tried to imagine how you can have a vision for something that will take decades to develop! Thanks so much for sharing this visit and its glorious photos with Mosaic Monday. I look forward to more pictures from your future visits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And P.S. Happy Birthday! (I got so caught up in the photos of Chatsworth House gardens - silly me.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Maggie

    Happy Belated Birthday. Your meal looks wonderful. I would like to walk around this estate and the gardens. The flowers are beautiful. Looks like a fun birthday! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really is breathtaking! You will enjoy so many walks there and it will be beautiful at all times of the year! Happy Birthday my friend. My birthday had one of those odd noughts on the end this year too! How did time fly by so quickly! Enjoy your week! Any cake left? heehee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm sorry but my web security keeps telling me your website is dangerous and blocks me from commenting, but please know that I did try.

      Delete
  10. Happy Big Birthday for last week! What a fabulous birthday pressie, I hope you are soon able to visit the house and have a coffee there!
    Have a great week
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good food and a walk through lovely gardens. Wonderful. Belated Birthday greetings. Happy mosaic Monday. I am at #19 on the linky today.

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my what beautiful scenery but what caught my eye eas the capability brown landscape view----magnificent!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful birthday! Happy Belated Birthday to you! The garden looks like an enjoyable place to visit with a lot to offer. Lovely flowers and dinner.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated special birthday, Maggie! You cake and flowers and dinner all looked wonderful! Chatsworth Gardens looked very interesting with all its different styles. I;m sure you will enjoy exploring all it has to offer and hopefully the closed portions will open by next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you, living so close! And a pass! I'm glad the gardens were open so you could walk about. I've seen a documentary on Chatsworth -- loads of history and it was beautiful. I can only imagine being there in person.

    As for your birthday, many belated wishes. The dinner and that glorious cake look like you were treated very well indeed. Happy Birthday, belatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maggie, Happy Birthday. Glad it was a good one! Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...