Sunday 24 May 2020

this was the week that..............


The hawthorn bush with seats beneath the shade
For talking age and whispering lovers made.

Oliver Goldsmith, The Deserted Village 1770.

And every shepherd tells his tale
Under the hawthorn in the dale.

John Milton, L'Allegro 1631

Moving back to live in the UK was a big decision for us to make and we looked for a long time for a place to spend the rest of our days. We finally narrowed down the choice of counties to three. Herefordshire, Derbyshire. and Yorkshire with it's National Parks, wild landscapes and rocky coastline was a definite frontrunner.
There is a saying, which I truly believe, that says "if it's for you it won't go by you" and that was certainly the case with our new home here in the Derbyshire Peak District.
The countryside surrounding us is breathtaking and this week has looked even more beautiful because the Hawthorns are blooming.
Not just in our own garden but especially in the lanes and fields bordered by centuries old dry stone walls.
This article found on the Derbyshire Life magazine website is fascinating if you'd like to know more abut dry stone walls in this county. Here. 
I've been asked if I painted the watercolour header of the barn above.
I wish I could say yes but I'm afraid not but I did create it using  the wonderful "waterlogue" app on my phone. 
Here is a collage of a photo of windchimes, hanging from a branch of a hawthorn tree in my garden and a "waterlogue" version of the same photo.

In hawthorn time the heart grows light.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, Tale of Balen 1896


Yet walk with me where hawthorns hide
The wonders of the lane.

Ebenezer Eliot, The Wonders of the Lane.
We had fun this week joining others members of our family for a Zoom Family Quiz Night. Nine of us took part, with ages ranging from 20 to 83, our nephew did a great job choosing questions which suited all the different age groups.
It was such good fun and is set to become a favourite Saturday night pastime during the extended lockdown I'm sure.
The SP and I have volunteered to host the event in two weeks time which with google's help should give us plenty of time to come up with enough questions to keep them all playing along.
What have you been doing this week to pass the time, I wonder?

Linking to Mosaic Monday # 81
hosted by the lovely Angie
 @ Letting Go of the Bay Leaf


12 comments:

  1. Maggie, how very lovely to find you again! In a new (and beautiful) place in real life and in blogland. You left MM in great hands with Angie, but as I link there, have often wondered how you and the Senior Partner are doing. So happy to know you are well. I will scroll back to catch up and look forward to reading more about your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your move to a new place to dwell - the hawthornes are lovely. I've never seen them bloom - it must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are happy in your new home. Moves are always so stressful. Sounds like your ZOOM night was great fun. We did s ZOOM with the kids and grandkids recently. It was wonderful!! Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about how you found your new home...and changed your life. It's a bold move and I know you'll be happy! I can't wait to see more photos of your house! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new home Maggie. I had'nt heard from you since you passed the hosting of mosaic Monday to Angie (she is a wonderful hostess as were you)
    Its good hearing from you. Stay safe.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much💟love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, Lovely tree and I really like the dry stone walls you describe. Wonderful time with family. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. Maggie - you are making me homesick for my adopted land. Just gaze upon those hawthorns! And surely there is a hedgehog or two in those hedges! Thanks for telling us about the waterlogue app - I will have to check it out. Thanks for adding some UK "flavour" to Mosaic Monday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful feeling to find "home" and it looks/sounds just lovely.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. The family zoom event sounds fun. I love that pretty tree and I'm so glad you found the spot that spoke to you when choosing your new home. I don't have a phone or ipad but if I did I think the first app I'd get would be waterlogue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maggie! I'm so glad to see you have a new locale and a new blog! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've settled in a beautiful area, judging by your photos. The waterlogue app does a wonderful job. I hope you tell us more about your "barn".

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...