Sunday 31 May 2020

what I have acheived during lockdown


It's been almost 10 weeks since lockdown began in the UK and although there has been some "easing" since 10th May and there is talk now of "a roadmap" to get us out of it the SP and I are still self isolating here in the Barn.
I was chatting on line with friends from my scrapbooking group recently and the topic was "what have you achieved during lockdown"?


The "achievements" ranged from "done a lot of baking", "scrapped a lot", "learned how to cut hair", "worked out with Joe Wicks" (he's the Body Coach on UK TV Channel 4), "home schooled the kids", "gardening",  "continued to work from home" to "not very much"!


Gardening has been my main pastime although I have baked some cakes, of the banana & walnut loaf and lemon drizzle cake variety and done some scrapping.


I am still trying to identify the plants that I have inherited here and I have to admit that I'm not doing very well.
I recognise some of the easier ones of course, clematis, roses, hostas and geraniums others have me guessing.
I have thought about getting one of those apps for my phone which tells you what the plant is, from a photo that you take. Have you tried that? Did it help?
I guess the main thing I've achieved and not really through choice is a curly head of hair, something my mother strived endlessly to achieve for me as a child.


She would be so proud.
Eating all those bread crusts has paid off eventually it seems.

Linking to Mosaic Monday # 82 with Angie @ Letting go of the Bayleaf.

18 comments:

  1. beautiful flowers and your lemon drizzle cake makes my mouth water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, but your lemon drizzle cake looks yummy! [sigh] And the flowers are lovely! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely flowers but I can't tell you their names either. Love the lemon drizzle cake. Yummy and your hair looks good.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie - it seems many people were baking in the US as Head Chef had a tough time finding bread flour on the shelves! I have not tried the app to identify flowers, but I do have a thick book of Rocky Mountain plants that is my bible. OK - you are going to have to explain the connection between curly hair and bread crusts! You know I love flowers, so thanks for your bright collage to grace Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understood... in point of lack of knowledge for some plants: its my theme. On the other side, I could visit a hairstylist - it was a salvation for the head.

    Stay healthy and well.

    Happy MosaicMonday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...Maggie, my lockdown time has been relatively enjoyable, blogging, listening to music and talking with my wife of 52 years! Thanks for visiting my blog, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks so cute! I like wearing my hair short...shorter than it is now. My daily life has not been so different and we've been able to hike regularly, so I won't complain! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely flowers in your mosaic. I hope that C will be done and over with soon. I´m getting tired of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Maggie,
    Your flowers and mosaic look beautiful. I love the clematis. I have been enjoying cooking, I need to practice more baking recipes. Your lemon Drizzle cakes look delicious! I wish I had some curls, my hair is so straight and fine. Thanks for visiting. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m laughing so hard (and with total empathy) at the hair paragraph that I almost forgot all the pretty flowers. If I dared publish a selfie, you’d agree that I shouldn’t have hidden all those crusts under the table .... mom never thought it was worth calling me back into the house.

    Really enjoyed the whole post... what a time “lockdown” is for you to get oriented in your new home.... I can see both good and bad things about it though......

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly achieved a lot of good things during lockdown. Bravo

    Happy mosaic Monday

    Much🌺love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eating bread crusts was said to turn hair curly here, too. So glad you are enjoying your garden in lockdown. I can't imagine how much more difficult this would have been in mid-November.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look wonderful, Maggie! I've been cooking every day of our long "quarantine" but I'm trying hard not to bake too often as the inactivity is showing in my waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy. Your flowering plants are beautiful.
    I love your new blog header painting.
    And you look lovely with curly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Maggie. I am so glad that you are back on the blog trail. I've missed you. Indeed, moving is a great challenge. When you wrote Good-bye Normandy (I can't spell the French), my heart took a jump, worried that I would be reading your farewell post. I've not posted to the Garden Spot for a while because everything that posted seemed to be a repeat. Yet I do miss my friends there and I must return. Instead I spend more time working on my other blog, http://annsdollhousedreams.blogspot.com, where I chronicle my adventures in miniatures. I also post to Instagram where I have connected with some of favorite bloggers in the UK. Welcome back. We will enjoy watching you nurture a new garden and look forward to you adventures in England.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are easing too. I think we've accomplished a lot of the same things (no Joe Wicks here, though...) You look fabulous and so do the blooms in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Maggie! Ha ha ha ha! Bread crusts give us curly hair? I had no idea! LOL!
    You look great! May I have a piece of lemon loaf?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...