Thursday 14 May 2020

UK lockdown. Day 52.


Yesterday was day 52 of the UK lockdown.
The "Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" message from the Government has now been amended to "Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Save Lives".
Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted this message.
"Everyone has a role to play in helping to control the virus by staying alert and following the rules.This is how we can continue to save lives as we start to recover from coronavirus.#StayAlert "


The Senior Partner and I have been self isolating since we arrived back in the UK, only leaving home to shop for essential food supplies. 
We've been shopping at some of the local family owned businesses which have stayed open. A small 7/7 convenience store; butchers who will deliver if you can't use their click and collect service and an excellent deli called the Sticky Fig.
Yesterday garden centres were allowed to open to the public as long as all the social distancing measures were in place.



So, we headed to one nearby to purchase some house plants, aromatics for my herb garden and bags of compost so that I could get my hands in some dirt.





Later that afternoon I chatted with a neighbour who had also been out to buy plants (standing 6 feet apart of course) for her garden and we laughed at how excited we were to finally be able to work outside.


I came across this handsome chap at the garden centre but at that price sadly had to leave him behind.

Happy gardening.

Joining Angie @ Letting Go of the Bay Leaf for Mosaic Monday #80, see you there.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are able to get some plants, yet still be careful and safe as you are doing it. My seedlings are still so tiny, but perhaps with warmer weather they will come along. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many folks are gardening to pass the time. I believe it helps the soul and the soil.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to a garden center so badly! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie - yay! You are here again! In your next post, do tell us about your header. Perhaps a watercolor of your new home? Derbyshire Peaks!!! You do have a talent for choosing quaint, picturesque places to live, my dear. Thanks for including me on your blog list, and for continuing the fine tradition of Mosaic Monday. I can't wait to hear more about your new "digs"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad, to read again a Post of you, Maggie... I agree with your view on the crisis.

    Stay healthy. Happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to get out and buy plants. It really does feel great to work outside some every day. Clears the cobwebs! I'm anxious to see and hear more about your new home! Take care this week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are in phase one of easing, so hardwares can open and restuarants can do curbside pickups
    I am #18 on the mosaic linky today
    Stay safe

    Muchđź’™love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie, I'm glad you are able to get stuff for the garden. That will pass time outside which is more pleasant than inside with good weather. Glad to see you back to blogging. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven’t gardened in years because we travel so much (but that is certainly no excuse nowadays, so I guess I’ll have to admit to being just too old and too lazy. ). I still do love to “steal” other people’s flowers (with my camera only). Look forward to more of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gardening is such a wonderful thing to do during the pandemic. I'm glad that our garden centres stayed open - with social distancing and line ups to restrict the number of people in a store/nursery.

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...