Sunday 7 June 2020

things that happened this week

Before I launch into what happened on Darley Moor this week I think I'd better explain about the bread crusts and curly hair reference in last week's post.
Lorrie @ Fabric, Paper and Thread  and Sallie@ A Full Time Life  both told me that they had heard this tall tale too whilst some other visitors were puzzled and wanted to know more.
When my sister and I were growing up during the 1950's our Mother always encouraged us to eat the crusts on our sandwiches. She told us that if we did our hair would grow curly but I think I figured out quite early on that that old wives tale just wasn't true! 
It was just something that mothers would say to make English kids finish the meal.
Now for a little roundup of some nice things that happened this week despite the rain and not being able to go out into the garden or take more than a quick walk down the lane very often.


Monday was the SP's birthday. I had hoped that we might drive up the road a little bit and visit the gardens of Chatsworth House, home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire but after considering the pros and cons we decided to avoid any possible crowds and stay home instead.


I did have one small surprise for him though, a gift from Peak Brewery @ Chatsworth Estate.
A case of their finest ales was delivered by a chauffeur driving a Mercedes just before lunch and was very well received by the birthday boy.
Another thing to celebrate this week although on a much smaller scale was the delivery of an item of furniture which we ordered way back in January but which had been delayed because of lockdown.
We have sofa in the family room at last!


And finally, Friday was National Fish and Chips Day in the UK. and we enjoyed this favourite British meal that evening, with many thanks to the Darley Dale Fish Bar.
So, how was your week?

Linking to Mosaic Monday # 83
with Angie 

14 comments:

  1. Your meal looks delicious.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday to your S.P. A very special delivery! Chatsworth is someplace I'd like to visit one day - but I say that about so many places! The fish and chips looks good!

    My week was busy, and I have a couple more of those before the summer break for school. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a big week. I love the new sofa. And I have to say, if one is going to have door to door delivery, you can't get any better than having it come with acchauffeur driven limo!I've always wanted to visit Chatsworth. I hope you get to reschedule soon when it might be a little safer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday S.P.! And what a nice surprise and fun celebration at home! I'm glad you got your new sofa finally and are starting to feel more at home. I look forward to more photos of your new home! Wishing you a wonderful week! We are doing find! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the story about the crust on bread. My mother had so many similar stories but not that one. Lovely photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy fish and chips. What a wonderful surprise for the birthday boy! Thank you for your post and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie! Thanks for the crust explanation!
    Oh, I love your new sofa and now I want fish and chips! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope he had a great day, yummy fish!
    Bread crust to make your hair curly? LOL they will tell us anything as kids, right?

    Happy Monday
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandpa always said if you drink coffee it will curl your toes. I wish we had a fish and chips truck (or takeout) near us. We do in British Columbia, so maybe that makes sense. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maggie, The fish and chips looks so good! I am glad it was a great surprise and delivered by chauffeur. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie - belated Happy Birthday to SP! He would appear to be like my husband - anything have to do with beer is well-received! Thanks for linking up - and now I have to think where I can find some good fish and chips and mushy peas around here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The things our mamas tell us to keep us in line. Mine told me to stop whistling every time she heard me because I would grow a mustache. hahaha. That's a nice, comfy looking couch, perfect for stretching out with a book perched on the chest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Curly hair and crusts made me smile. My mom used to say that and, as I had curls and hated them, it made me even less inclined to eat my crusts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Victorian Easter Greetings

In the late 1800's the halfpenny postage stamp was introduced in England and the craze for sending greetings cards, especially at Christ...